My Run-In With The Law (of Attraction)

The law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results. This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from "pure energy", and the belief that like energy attracts like energy. - From Wikipedia 

Man those roots were deep! The bushes had probably been there since the house was built, and they weren't interested in leaving. Besides being deep, they were a tangled mess, winding around each other like snakes in a pit. But the bushes were looking tired now, and were out of date as landscape elements. So my wife and I decided to remove them. It would open up the front of the house, and we could put in a little terraced flower garden for a nice contemporary touch.

So one pleasant spring Saturday morning, I embarked, shovel in hand, on what I hoped would be an easy job of extracting some old, weak, decomposing plants. Need I say it didn't turn out that way? Of course not! After easily cutting the branches down to ground level, the attack on the roots moved forward. Before long, the shovel was joined by a pick. A short time later, the pick was joined by a sledge hammer - and basically anything else I could find that might break up the steely cables. It was now apparent that this could go on all weekend - and maybe longer.

As I mentally scanned the tools available in the garage, I realized that one thing which would be really helpful was also the one thing I didn't have - a pry bar. Yeah, a pry bar would be just the thing to get some leverage on those suckers. Leverage - the engineers favorite tool, and just the weapon to drive out the snakes. I briefly considered making a run to the hardware store, but feared that once having stopped, I might not be inclined to continue.

And I was filthy dirty too. And it wasn't like headway wasn't being made, however minimal. So I toiled on, battling the fiends as best I could with what I had, all the while thinking about how great it would be to have a pry bar. I formed a mental picture of one and imagined myself effortlessly dispatching roots with the magic stick. I ruminated on how much easier it would be to slip the pointed end of the bar under a root cable while pushing on the opposite end to either pull it out completely, or at least snap it in two.

The afternoon wore on as the task proceeded incrementally, tangled root by tangled root. I tried to put the image of a pry bar out of my mind, but it persisted, returning with each resistant pull. The thought that the job could be done so much easier and faster was as hard to remove as the roots. My kingdom for a pry bar!

Taking a much needed break, I walked around to the side of the house, and went in to grab a diet coke. Now here is where the story takes a strange and most perplexing turn. After taking a couple sips, the can of Coke and I went straight back to the front of the house. The length of time consumed by the process could not have been more than two or three minutes - in other words, just a little more than the amount of time needed to blink blink the proverbial eye.

As I walked across the yard, something in the peripheral vision attracted my attention. It was some sort of object lying in the middle of the sidewalk, right at the end of the front walk way. I stood transfixed. What it appeared to be defied logic. Moving closer confirmed the impossible. The object lying on the sidewalk in front of my house was indeed, a pry bar! Yes!

I quickly looked up and down the street. No one! Not a soul. But even if someone had been there, what could possibly account for the placing of a pry bar smack-dab in front of the house? And no one, not even my wife, knew about the object of my longing.

So here I was, standing over an object like the one obsessed about all day. Yes, it was indeed a pry bar. But while similar to the imagined object in kind, there was an obvious difference. The bar I had in mind was of the long handled variety, while the bar I now cradled in my hands measured far smaller, maybe 18 inches, if that. It was a perfectly good tool, to be sure - but utterly useless for my purposes.

Some might consider what happened to be a legitimate, though imperfect, example of the Law of Attraction in action. And I'll admit to being at a loss for an alternative explanation. Did it fall off a passing vehicle? Was it thrown from a car? Dropped from a plane? All strain credulity a bit too far.

My own relationship with the Law of Attraction concept remains a work in progress. As I learn more about the energetic nature of the universe, there's a greater openness to the possibility, despite some reservations. My own experience has been ambiguous. Yes, there has been the occasional synchronistic connection to a person or event. But I also spend the better part of the day worrying about one thing or another, yet find very little ever comes to pass.

So what do I take away from this encounter with the numinous? Let's recap: 1) The object on which I'd focused my thoughts and intention was manifested. 2) There was no evidence of human intervention. 3) The bar wasn't suited to the task.

From this I'm inclined to conclude that if energy does in fact respond to thoughts, desires and mental pictures, one would be well advised to practice caution and be very specific about what is asked for. It may be that the universe really is ready and willing to deliver whatever we order. But we'd better make sure we fill in all the blanks. If wishing for a Honda, be sure to state the year and model. Heaven forbid you get a used lawn mower instead.

We have to stop and be humble enough to understand that there is something called mystery.                    - Paulo Coelho

Comments